(888) 569-3996


Trust our Law Office for Fast Evictions
and Excellent Legal Representation

Serving These
California Areas:

Van Nuys | San Fernando Valley L.A. and Ventura Counties

Hours of Operation
Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.- 6 p.m.  Saturday, appointment only

We are Always Available

Landlord Legal Services
Jury Trials
Rent Control
Nuisance Issues
Civil Harassment Issues

Frequently Asked Questions

Although each case is slightly different, there are a few standard questions and answers that generally apply to all cases.  If you need additional information, please forward your question under "Contact Us".


How long does the entire eviction take?

Generally, our law firm can schedule the eviction trial about 4 weeks after filing the unlawful detainer (the eviction lawsuit).  Our firm cannot file the lawsuit until the notice period on the underlying notice has expired.  For example, a lawsuit can at earliest be filed on the next business day after the third day following service of a Three Day Notice to Pay Rent or Quit.  After a successful eviction trial (meaning the Court has ruled in favor of the landlord), it usually takes an additional 2 weeks for the Sheriffs to conduct the lockout.  That means that the entire process takes about 6 weeks.


Do I (the landlord) have to testify?

If the case goes to trial (meaning that the tenant has answered the complaint), yes, you will have to testify . . . unless you have a co-owner or a property manager who is more knowledgeable than you. The person that retained the attorney in the first place, usually is the person with the most knowledge about the tenant, about the tenancy, and about the reason they are being evicted. 


How much does an eviction cost?

Even if I (an attorney) handled my own eviction case on my own rental property, I would have to write at least four checks to other people: (1) $240.00 to the courthouse as the filing fee for the eviction; (2) at least $60.00 to a registered process server to serve the Summons and Complaint; (3) $25.00 for the writ of possession at the conclusion of the case, to obtain a lock-out; and (4) $125.00 to the Sheriffs to conduct the actual lock-out.  Those costs total $450.00, and unfortunately, sometimes there are more costs when the tenants evade service, when there are multiple tenants to serve, and/or when the tenants file multiple motions.  Obviously, the attorney charges for his/her time in addition to the $450.00 worth of costs. Don't be misled by other advertisements claiming that lawyers are offering $99.00 evictions.  There is no such thing.


Do I have to meet you at your office?

Because most eviction lawsuits can be compiled with very little input from the client, the paperwork for evictions can be generated very quickly.  In addition, the Courts allow fax-filings and fax signatures. Therefore, if you are an out-of-state or out-of-county landlord/owner and you wish to proceed with court action immediately, face-to-face meetings are not necessary.  On a side note, if you need to meet somewhere other than my office or after hours or on weekends, I will accommodate your needs. 


Can I accept the rent after I start the eviction?

Do no accept the rent after the unlawful detainer has been filed.  Acceptance of rent during the eviction process waives your entitlement to a judgment for possession (except in commercial cases).


Can I get a restraining order against the tenant, instead of doing the eviction?

Generally, no.  Most judges on most restraining order cases will not issue a "stay away" order that is the equivalent of an eviction or a lock-out.  Therefore, if you need to evict your roommate or co-occupant or guest, usually you will need to file the eviction and get a judgment for possession.


What should I do if the tenant abandoned the property?

It depends on what you wish to accomplish.  If you merely want to re-rent the property, there is a possibility of avoiding eviction court and declaring the unit abandoned.  You should call our office to get more information on this procedure, before you deal with an abandonment case.


Do I have to take care of my former tenant's belongings if they left stuff in their unit?

Yes, if those belongings are obviously worth more than $300.00, then you do have to store them until you have issued the tenant a formal letter regarding their abandonment of their personal items.  It does not happen often; however, you should definitely not throw away a former tenant's into the garbage when the items are valuable.  Again, you should always seek legal assistance in dealing with this difficult situation.